Commitment & Guiding Principles
As a regulatory body, we believe it is our responsibility to, at a minimum, inform and consult stakeholders in decisions that impact them. It is incumbent upon CRPNM to consider the impact of our decisions upon stakeholders, and to develop mitigation strategies where possible, during the decision-making process. The nature of the engagement process will vary according to the intended goals, and every effort will be made to anticipate and mitigate limiting factors such as resources and time.
Eight community engagement principles will be followed:
- We will make every reasonable effort to ensure all parties understand the rationale for engagement and the decision-making parameters involved.
- We will provide timely information to enable meaningful participation.
- Consultation will occur when there is a real opportunity to influence the decision-making process, and when decision makers have sufficient time to fully consider public input.
- Diverse voices will be invited to contribute to the discussion reflecting geography, demography and culture.
- We will listen and learn.
- We will work toward finding collective solutions, recognizing that engagement cannot be expected to dissolve all dissent and differences of opinion, and it does not abrogate CRPNM’s decision-making responsibility.
- We will report back to stakeholders to ensure they are aware of how their input was used in decision-making.
Community engagement principles will be included in all key strategies of the organization to ensure they form a fundamental tenet of CRPNM’s operations and are embedded within the organizational culture.